The Class of 2010

The Class of 2010
The class prepares to cover the Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports

Monday, May 31, 2010

Bios

Our most recent assignment, writing a 170-word bio on one of our SJI classmates, was one of the most trying processes that I've gone through since coming here. It's one thing to have to write a whole game recap in just twenty minutes, but having to cut down 21-years of someone's life into 170 words was quite challenging.
I got to actually experience the process of writing a story, printing it out, and editing it before submitting a final copy. Having to delete things and add others, finding shorter ways to say what I needed to say, and taking input advice from the subject of my story was a new process for me.
Obviously, every story I've written has been edited and chopped down to some degree, but this was different. I was responsible for capturing this person's life in 170 words and my first draft was 206 words.
This experience definitely has made me a better, and more economical writer already. It has given me a chance to step out of my shell as more of a long-winded writer and into the shoes of a journalist who actually meets his exact requirements.
My final draft came out to 169 words, and I could not be more happy with the results. Hopefully Mr. Lee and the rest of the staff feels the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment