The Class of 2010

The Class of 2010
The class prepares to cover the Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports

Monday, May 31, 2010

A class of diverse students

Today, the 2010 SJI class got the chance to break up and have a one-on-one interview with a fellow classmate. As I conducted my interview with one of my classmates, I learned a lot about the hard work many of the students here at SJI have done to earn their way in to this program.


I have worked my way from sports correspondent to sports editor and now finally editor-in-chief of the University of Texas at El Paso’s student newspaper The Prospector. Even as one of the few E-I-Cs here, I feel as if I have the least amount of experience out of all the students in this class. While many of them have already done internships, I will be doing my first this summer at the Houston Chronicle.


I am trying to soak in all the information and advice we are given this week, hoping that it will prepare me for my first experience at a major newspaper. The crash course on journalism we have had so far here has given me an idea of what to expect at the Houston Chronicle this summer and for the rest of my career.


As editor-in-chief, I have been forced to write news stories for more than a year so I feel a little rusty writing sports stories again. As soon as we covered the soccer game a few days ago, it reminded me how great covering sports truly is and I can’t wait to write sports for the Chronicle. I have a long summer ahead of me, but one I know I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment