The Class of 2010

The Class of 2010
The class prepares to cover the Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Today's Events

Carlos Pena, Tampa Bay's starting first baseman and clean up hitter, is protecting more than just the Rays' lineup these days. Now, after his club's 8-5 loss today against the Chicago White Sox, Pena inherited the responsibility of protecting my toothbrush.

During our time in the club's press room, all members of the media were presented with an official Carlos Pena Toothbrush Holder. Hopefully, Pena will protect my toothbrush better than he's safeguarded the Rays' lineup, or else my breath might start smelling like halitosis by the end of this week.

But in all seriousness, I truly enjoyed my first experience covering a Major League Baseball game today. Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon was definitely media savvy, answering most of our questions with insightful detail. He also updated us on shortstop Jason Bartlett's hamstring injury status and availability for the series against Toronto.

"I would doubt that JB will play tomorrow," Maddon said. "As we move through Toronto, we'll see. Everyday, I believe he's going to be better, according to what I'm hearing, but I don't think he'll be starting tomorrow."

As a result of the injury, Reid Brignac filled in for Bartlett at shortstop today and contributed on the offensive end as well, knocking in an RBI today. At this point, Bartlett's right hamstring injury is listed as day-to-day.

In addition to analyzing and reporting about Pena's lackluster play and Bartlett's hampering injury, I also had the opportunity to assess some of the Rays' introductory songs. Personally, I was impressed with Carl Crawford's selection. The Tampa Bay outfielder chose Young Jeezy "Lose My Mind" and clearly it motivated him because he tallied four hits against the White Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment