The Class of 2010

The Class of 2010
The class prepares to cover the Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports

Monday, June 21, 2010

Posting from a mile high

Despite shortness of breath every morning during my walk downtown and chapped lips every 20 minutes, I am enjoying my time in the Mile High City.

Waking up to the Rockies in the morning is "AMAZING" and riding past Invesco Field on my way to work is "AMAZING". (Who did I just quote?)

Much like the man (Kyle) who sat to my right during our sessions at Poynter, in the wake of big happenings within my coverage area, I was assigned to a story of lesser degree. My first published piece in the paper was a 140-word brief on this summer’s Youth Olympics. Unlike Kyle, I can’t even post an online link to the story because it was so, for lack of a better word, brief.

Let me sum it up for you, if at all possible:
Three Coloradans (as they refer to them here), ages 14-18, were selected to compete for the USA volleyball and swimming team.

Not nearly as cool as, let’s say, Colorado going to Pac –10, or our experiences on "press row" covering the Finals and the Belmont Stakes.

But have no fear for I see more eventful days in the weeks ahead.

In other news, I’m sure you all will be glad to know that I have been doing my daily preperation for sports checks. By habit (no joke), I frequently check out espn.com, espnnewyork.com and si.com just in case we all get another e-mail from Mr. Carter with a REAL sports check.

I will leave with this, a few distant observations since we went our separate ways on June 6:

1. Nice to see SJI 2010’s hottest couple is still going strong:

(I will keep last names out for Google search purposes)

In a recent Twitter post: Tariq said of his SJI roommate Aaron
“What can I say. That's my man. Yall just mad we so close.”

I’ll leave it at that.




2. A special thanks to Alex getting us ready for this Thursday’s NBA draft with his new blog, created at Poynter. http://livefrommudville.blogspot.com/2010/06/nba-draft-preview-part-5.html <------Be sure to check it out. Good stuff.

3. And lastly, shout out to mom (Amelia) for her on-camera appearance at Vikings mini-camp: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/96225899.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

One day, I hope to be just like my mom.

Everyone, continue doing your thing on the internships!

No comments:

Post a Comment