The Class of 2010

The Class of 2010
The class prepares to cover the Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Learning from Jim Jenks

Today was definitely an excellent learning experience because we had Kenneth Irby, Ellyn Angelotti, Roy Peter Clark, and Jim Jenks lecture us today on various aspects of journalism. Jenks is currently Vice President and Executive Producer of MLB.com - the publication that I'm interning with this summer - so his presence this afternoon prompted me to be "extra-attentive" as he shared his wisdom.

After listening to his lecture, it's clear he is really dedicated and passionate about his multimedia responsibilities for MLB.com. I mean this guy had an iPad, iPhone and BlackBerry and boasted comprehensive knowledge of their applications, so he undoubtedly is a technology guru.

Following his talk, I spoke with him and asked for advice as an incoming intern at MLB.com. He reminded me to volunteer for assignments, take risks, and never decline assignment opportunities. In addition, he gave me some insight on my boss' personality and expectations for interns, so I'm definitely preparing myself for an exciting summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment