The Class of 2010

The Class of 2010
The class prepares to cover the Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My opinion doesn't count...

But Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game! It also would have been the first perfect game in Tigers history!

Replays show first baseman Miguel Cabrera's throw beat Cleveland Indians shortstop Jason Donald by at least a step with two outs in the top of the ninth inning. First base umpire Jim Joyce missed the call. And the worst part, Galarraga was on the other end of the throw. All he could do was crack a smile.

In the Associated Press report, Joyce said he regretted his error.

"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the [stuff] out of it," Joyce said, looking and sounding distraught as he paced in the umpires' locker room. "I just cost that kid a perfect game.

"I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

What did Galarraga think after he had a chance to see the replays in the clubhouse?

"I feel sad," Galarraga said. "I just watched the replay 20 times and there's no way you can call him safe. I wish I could talk to the guy that took a perfect game away from me.

"He needs to do a better job in that situation. It wasn't even close," he said.

According to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick source, Joyce went inside the Tigers clubhouse following the game and apologized to Galarraga and Leyland personally. However, John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press said Galarraga was asked to visit Joyce in the umpire's dressing room at Comerica Park.

Galarraga replayed the conversation for Lowe.

Galarraga said Joyce told him, "I'm so sorry in my heart. I don't know what to tell you.

"I told him, 'Nobody's perfect.' What am I going to say?"

Galarraga said Joyce felt so bad, he was still in his uniform.

On ESPN, the headline has changed from "Blown call costs Tigers' Galarraga perfect game" to "Umpire: 'I just cost that kid a perfect game'"

On the Detroit Free Press, its headline went from "Tigers' Galarraga denied perfect game on blown call" to "Umpire Jim Joyce apologizes to Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga for blown call, denying perfect game"

On the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the headline is still long despite its change from "Umpire's missed call spoils Armando Galarraga's bid for a perfect game as Tigers post 3-0 victory" to "A most imperfect finish: Ump's blown call costs Detroit's Armando Galarraga perfect masterpiece against Indians"

No comments:

Post a Comment